Friday, October 26, 2012

Homeschooling: More than paper and pencil

Most children people learn best when education incorporates more than one technique.  So why is it that our children are expected to learn anything from sitting day in and day out at a desk doing paper work?

Enter homeschooling! (and the crowd roars with delight!)

Ok I am not (yet) the perfect homeschooling mom.  We have missed a few days and some days I must drag the kids and myself to do school.

But then other days are, well, not school and yet educational.

Several days ago I saw an ad for free black walnuts. FREE? really? Come get all you want!  Well I called my mom and began researching harvesting and preserving black walnuts on the Internet.

Monday we, Mom, the kids and me, all piled in her car and headed to the kind old man house who had placed the ad in our local paper.

After picking up and 5 market baskets of nuts we headed to my moms house to process them.

WHAT A MESS!


The kids counted the nuts and helped peel the hulls off and sort them.  We talked about the trees and how some produce fruit and some produce nuts.  We talked about the leaves changing colors and harvest time.  Let me tell you we did more learning than any paper and pencil could have provided.  The kids are still talking about it.  How often do you hear your child talking about something they learned on a worksheet?

Come back to see the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment